If you use the email feature in Blackboard to send email to your students, the sender on the email will now be listed as email@example.com instead of actually listing your email faculty address. This change is Blackboard’s way of preventing spam. If the email recipient clicks “Reply” to respond to the email, the firstname.lastname@example.org address will in fact be replaced with your email address. Please make your students aware of this, in case they are thrown by seeing that address.
Grade Center Decimals
Here at the Virginia Community College System (and other colleges) we seeing occasional 5-digit decimals showing in the grade center. There is no way to change this and the VCCS administrator is looking into correcting locally because Blackboard Support only answers that the grade center does not report higher than 2-decimal places, it is not happening. This issue seems only to happen when displaying grades as ‘percentages’.
Images that were inserted into your Blackboard Course by using copy/paste might not be visible any longer . Check your course and any tests/assignments that are using images. Depending on your use of images this could take some time so make sure you allow enough time to make corrections. The proper way to insert an image is to use the “Insert Image” icon (shown below) on the third line of the Text Editor.
YouTube MashupGoogle changed the API for YouTube and Blackboard (Bb) missed changing the code for the YouTube integration, which also affects for Video Everywhere. Blackboard has stated publicly they are working hard to get this fixed and I am sure it will be ready before the Developers Conference on July 20. According to Erik Thomas, Client Support Sr. Manger "The latest updates can always be found in the Support Bulletin at https://blackboard.secure.force.com/btbb_articleview?id=kAA70000000Cb7P but you have to have access to Behind the Blackboard to see the bulletin.For those of you who do not have the required access it basically says that "within the next 30 days" which would be another week or two.
Thankfully, the fellow Bb faculty have found solutions and are sharing them with their peers. Below is one such workaround.
Other things you should do is:"If instructors begin using the Video Everywhere tool without having previously authenticated into their YouTube account, they need to sign into their YouTube account using the 'Sign in to YouTube' option in the Recorder window. This is fine - but then the first attempt to record a video fails. The instructors have to close the Recorder window and start over. All successive recording attempts then seem to work. Instructors don't encounter this problem with the first video failing if they are already signed into their YouTube account before they begin using the Video Everywhere tool. They still have to click the 'Sign in to YouTube' option but the tool recognizes that that the users are already authenticated into their YouTube account and lets them begin recording - and the initial attempt to record a video works fine. To make this whole process a lot simpler (until Blackboard gets this fixed), we just direct instructors to the YouTube site to record their videos. They can then use the Video Everywhere tool to integrate their videos into their courses."
- Check your links to make sure what they link to is still there
- Request multiple sections of the same course be merged to stream line input & communication
- Course copy or export/import course content from prior course (if possible)
- Use Date Management to update all due dates within your new course
- Review the Blackboard Exemplary Course Rubric or Quality Matters Rubric to ensure optimal course design and accessibility
- Make sure to test your course out as a student on different types of devices
- Consider talking with your instructional technology design team about tools available in Bb that you are no using and include away to add a new tool to your course to engage students.
- Attend BbWorld 2015 either in person or virtually to see what others are doing and what is happening at Blackboard Inc and within the user community